Tuesday, April 28, 2009

After the frost what should I do with my petunia vines or limbs. Should i cut them off or just let them be?

I know that they will come back in the spring but should I cut off the dead limbs or just kind of pile them in the basket. I planted them in a huge barrell and they have overflowed. I really just need to know what to do with them. thanks

After the frost what should I do with my petunia vines or limbs. Should i cut them off or just let them be?
petunias are usually annuals, although i have had them come back.. i will usually cut them back now.. come spring you will get new growth (or they will die) and get some mulch around them (not on top) if you leave the old stems, the new growth will try to grow off of them, making the plant look very straggly.
Reply:I usually treat petunias as annuals. I remove them in late late summer, so I don't have to clean up the slimy flowers and stems and leaves after a heavy frost.


No comments:

Post a Comment